Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Ireland: The Pre-Screening

Far and Away
My vision of Ireland has been shaped almost entirely by film. And it all started when I was 13.

At the time I had no idea what the Irish Land War was -
I just knew that these two amazing actors with exotic accents were off on an adventure to the new world - but with age comes knowledge.

In 1893, the time in which the movie was set, Ireland was in the midst of a long period of civil unrest. England had been attempting to control and contain Ireland for over two centuries and by the late 19th century the Irish had had enough. The people wanted to own the land that they labored on and to profit from that labor accordingly. But as it stood, the English were keeping any profit and charging the Irish rent on the land to boot. I understand now why Tom Cruise's character was so captivated and driven by the "free land" that was being handed out just across the ocean. Perhaps it's time I rewatch that movie...


I’ve seen many films about Ireland and the Irish since, and here is what they've told me:

  • The Irish won't back down. (Gangs of New York)
  • The scenery will be either a gritty, weathered city or beautiful, rolling countryside - there is no in-between.

Will the Irish and Ireland be anything like the people and places I’ve seen on screen all my life? I hope so. But preferably with fewer weapons.

What about you? Have you seen any good Irish-themed movies lately?

2 comments:

  1. The Irish accents in Far and Away are a subject of much mirth for Irish people, but I admit I loved it as a child also. Some more recent ones I recommend are Brooklyn (set mostly in America but again about Irish emigrants), and Sing Street (great rock bank musical set in the 80s but came out 2016 and filmed entirely in Ireland).

    ReplyDelete
  2. At this point I have not seen any Irish-themed films, though I have seen many portrayals of the Irish in media. Despite being skeptical of the accuracy of these portrayals I have yet to look into any films from Ireland, or films that are tied to their history. That being said I have been given numerous recommendations (from nearly everyone I know) for good Irish films. I was hoping to look into the them before the trip, but if that does not work out I will be sure to watch them once we have returned.

    ReplyDelete