Tuesday, May 30, 2017

What does it mean to be Irish?

On the first day of this class, " 'Everybody's Irish': Uncovering Plastic Paddys and 'Real' Irishmen", we looked at these two pictures and easily determined which was the "Plastic Paddy":


Plastic Paddy
Plastic Paddy

Irishman
Real Irishman














The green beer definitely gives the fake Irishman away! But, of course, truthfully the other picture is only one of many examples of a real Irishman--a concept that has changed over the years and differs by age, gender, part of Ireland, and many other factors.

For both the Irish and outsiders like us (as Americans), what it means to be Irish is influenced by media, history, literature, and personal experiences, and may never have an exact definition.

Yet we can begin to explore this idea through seeing what characteristics are commonly ascribed to the Irish (wit, deceit, hospitality/friendliness, loyalty, etc.), comparing them in insider and outsider accounts, and finding out how our own opinions and experiences also contribute to our understanding of modern Irish identity.

My thoughts have certainly evolved as I began growing up on Irish music and fairytales to seeing Ireland as a tourist after high school, then as a study abroad student from Notre Dame--home of the Fighting Irish, then living there for 5 years while completing my PhD at UCD, and finally visiting many times over the years after marrying a Leitrim man with 8 brothers and sisters.

As I help lead this inaugural IU South Bend study abroad trip to Dublin and Derry in just a few weeks, I look forward to hearing all about your first impressions of the Irish and seeing how they change as we read more about Ireland and see it up close. I'll be sharing my reflections along the way too, but this will mostly be a student space for sharing your thoughts about Ireland and the Irish.

With this in mind, let's get the conversation started--in a comment quickly explain what you're most looking forward to seeing/doing in Ireland and what you're thinking about doing on your free days. Feel free to ask any trip related questions here too.

Here's to a great trip...Slainte!


13 comments:

  1. What will I do in Ireland? I have fairly firm instructions from Professor Roth to see an Irish movie in an Irish theater - so that obviously on my to-do list. Even higher than that though is the Guinness Factory. I fell in love with Guinness a few years ago (namely "black and blues") and there is just nothing like it. I can't wait to taste it and experience the true "Guinness Perfect Pint Pour".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like the Guinness Factory (Storehouse) is a popular choice! You can find out much more about it on the Guinness Storehouse website, including some good directions. Coming from city center, the best bet is probably the bus from Dame St. The walk is probably closer to 30 minutes than the 20 they claim. The admission is also fairly spendy at 18 Euros for students (20 for adults), though they offer a discount of 14 Euros if you pay online, and I think the price does include one perfect pint in the Gravity Bar.

      Delete
    2. On our Dublin trip last year, we stayed at a hostel right next to the Old Jameson Distillery. Many people took quite an interest in their tours, as well as visiting Guinness.

      If any of you have a Dublin Pass, it should include admission to both Jameson and Guinness.

      Thank you for sharing your impressions on a blog. I look forward to reading more from you.

      Delete
  2. What I am most looking forward to is the scenery and the new culture we will be exposed to. I am excited to see the numerous castles and churches that Ireland has. I have been to Ireland once before and vaguely remember my experience so I am excited again to see what I have once explored. On my free days, I intend on going to the Cliffs of Moher and continue in Galway to experience another city in Ireland. I also intend on going to Guinness and touring that factory along with the local pubs to see the differences between our culture to theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking forward to touring the Guinness Storehouse. I have heard a lot of good things about it. I was told that the view from the rooftop bar was breathe taking! I am also looking forward to going to a Catholic church. I was raised Catholic so I am interested in comparing the mass at my church to the mass that I goto in Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a little research on nearby Catholic churches and there's one, St. Teresa's on Clarendon Street, just off Grafton Street, that is easy to get to and is one of the busiest churches in Dublin. They have 5-6 masses a day during the week, and several options on the weekends as well. I might even join you for mass!

      We will see a few churches as tourists along the way, but if anyone's interested in going to church (of any denomination) while in Dublin, see this extensive listing of churches where you can search by area or denomination.

      Delete
  4. During our trip in Ireland I am excited to see the beautiful landscape and sceneries. Being able to stand on the Cliff of Moher or the Giants Causeway will be a new experience that I am looking forward to. I am also looking forward to seeing the possible change in dynamic between the cities of Dublin and Derry. Being that both cities are under different governmental controls
    it will be interesting to see the variations between both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am looking forward to seeing the historic sites as well as tasting the local cuisine. I am also looking forward to the beautiful landscapes. On my free days I would like to go to the art museum in Dublin, and of course go to the Guinness brewery. This is my first time traveling abroad, so I hope to experience new things and make the most of the trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also want to pay a visit to the National Gallery in Dublin, probably on Saturday so I can see the new Vermeer exhibit. We can try and coordinate going together if you want!

      Delete
  6. I am most interested in seeing castles and churches, mainly for the architecture but also for the history that is tied to the structures. In terms of my free day I am unsure at the moment, but I know that I want to see some of the films and art of Ireland. I am specifically curious about modern independent Irish films to better understand the stories these filmmakers feel are worth telling/keeping alive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm most excited to see the castles, churches and hear about the history along with them it's something i always dreamed of doing. On my free days i plan to site see and explore the beautiful scenery! Of course i have to go to the Guinness brewery and explore there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that you will enjoy Malahide Castle and grounds. It has a long history, including a couple of ghost stories as well as history. Just walking around the grounds is breathtaking, but the tour brings out the historical relevance to the Irish narrative and its mixed history with Britain.

      Both Saint Patrick's and Christ Cathedral have amazing histories and stories as well. Enjoy and absorb all you can. If you discover other wonderful sites, please feel free to share them.

      Delete
  8. I am most excited to mostly walk around the towns in Ireland and hopefully feel some sort of culture shock. To be able to experience the Irish culture even for a brief two weeks will feel liberating. One my free days I am looking forward to exploring various pubs and perhaps the Guinness Storehouse and possibly the Jameson whiskey distillery. Seeing how different the world can be (because this is my first trip outside the U.S.) should give me different perspectives.

    ReplyDelete