Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Discovering Ireland

Rolling green pastures dotted with sheep, crumbling castles, narrow brick roads, and rustic pubs. These are just a few ideas that come to mind when I think of the island of Ireland. Before this trip, I never gave much thought to the country, though I always thought it would be a cool place to visit. In high school, I had a friend with strong Irish roots. She always talked about wanting to take a trip, and sophomore year she did. After hearing about how beautiful the countryside was, and how much fun she had, I decided that I wanted to visit the country as well. What inspired you to take this trip? Was it something specific, or did something or someone motivate you?

http://www.virginia.edu/alumnitravel/06_programs/ireland06.htm

I decided at a young age that I wanted the travel as much as possible throughout my life. However, I never really looked into the places I’ve been, the opportunities just arose. When I found out I had a chance to visit Dublin, I knew I had to continue my journey as a traveler. Before class, though, I didn’t think too much about what the island would look like. I had seen pictures online and in magazines of the rolling plains and Cliffs of Mohr, but I know that pictures never truly capture the true beauty. After the first couple class readings, I started to gain a better understanding of the countryside, and after reading Legend of Knockmany, I looked up pictures of the Giant's Causeway, but that’s about as much information I had about the scenery.

During my trip to Europe, I stayed in Hanau, Germany. Hanau is a little town just east of Frankfurt, with very narrow streets and multi-story buildings built very close together. This is what I assumed that Ireland would look like, and from the pictures I have seen online, this still rings true. I have also discovered that the architecture is very similar.  

1 comment:

  1. I feel like we have a very similar idea of what we thought Ireland would be like! I knew I wanted to study abroad before I graduated and I planned to do it my senior year. However, I am graduating a year early. Once I found out about this trip, I knew I needed to go! I am really excited to see what more Ireland has to offer!

    ReplyDelete