Thursday, June 1, 2017

Expectations of Ireland

It became apparent to me after the first class that, outside association with Guinness and Notre Dame, I did not have a clear expectation or impression of Irish culture. To be honest I had always taken these sources of Irish culture to be noting more than a part of their branding, so I had not related impressions of them back to the culture itself. For example, most of Notre Dame's impact on my life has revolved around their football games (American football). American football is not something I think of as being Irish, so once again the Irish ties seemed to be more of rallying cry for school spirit instead of a direct connection to Ireland itself.

Though we are only at the end of our third week in the class my expectations have already changed. From the stories and documents we have read from Ireland their culture seems to place considerable value in storytelling (this is something I was grateful to hear). At this moment I am most excited to see how prominent storytelling still is as part of their culture, specifically in the areas of film making and books. On the topic of storytelling I am curious to hear from others if they prefer films or books? Personally I feel that each form has its own benefits depending on the story, but overall I do prefer film.
Legend of Knockmany

1 comment:

  1. I would have to say that I prefer films over books, but the book can be better depending on the story. Written literature gives me more subtle details that cannot be captured in films. I am currently reading the Game of Thrones books by George R. R. Martin and I have already watched all of the episodes on HBO. The book tells the story from a different perspective and I enjoy that. I guess I only choose films over books because I am a lazy millennial, and watching TV is much easier than staring at thin slices of trees and producing vivid hallucinations from the words on the pages.

    ReplyDelete