Tuesday, June 27, 2017

The True Irish

The True Irish Experience 
We all have heard of the Irish stereotypes,

  • green
  •  leprechauns
  •  drunks
  • witty
  • fighters
If anyone of these stereotypes are most true it would be the fighters. The fighting irish has never been so true in my eyes after learning more and more of their background.
As an American, i never learned of the Irish history i only learned our American history, which is unfortunate because you can learn a lot by knowing the history around us in the world. Anyway, I've grown to have a certain kind of respect for the Irish and their persistence.







This is probably the most famous mural in Derry because it represents the most unlawful deaths of PEACEFUL marchers. This day is known as bloody sunday and has affected many families in Derry. I took a tour of in a museum about Bloody Sunday which was super personal and emotional. I know that i always remember that museum and the people it was made for.  That place is a reminder of the strong fighters the Irish are because after that horrific act in Bloody Sunday by the police, the families took it to court and got justice for the ones who were shot and killed unlawfully.





Our first day going through Dublin we saw our first protest, I didn't stop and ask what it was about, however, i thought it pretty cool since in class our professor told us just how much they protest for equal rights throughout the country. I was blown away about how the Irish are so passionate about their country and politics but on the same note can have a civil conversation with someone who has a different  belief unlike other countries...by that i mean America.

 I guess I would define a true Irish person as kind but witty(So funny), strong willed, yes, they have many pubs and the Irish drink...who doesn't though? In class we would read things from the past and the stories would be written by an English person. The english were not fond of the Irish, they descried them as peasants who dressed in rags and who fought as a sport or for fun, as people who were uneducated and just horrific things.
Cliffs of Moher

In "Home to Harlem" we read in class about an Irish man who came to America for college and his struggles with Identity (He was Black Irish) but anyway, every other word was the "F" word. I've heard this stereotype before that the Irish cuss a lot and it's just the way of their everyday talk. I didn't find this to be true, i mean they cuss as much as anyone/anywhere else.

What i Found
In Dublin it was mostly tourist and we ran into Americans everywhere which was extremely annoying. BUT, Derry is way more...i want to say private. We met locals the first night and now they're great friends of ours. I found none of the stereotypes with them, the only things i found to be true is that they all are strictly Irish. 
Class
"She looks up at him"
"African-American?", she says"
"I'm not American"
"you sure?" "she says" 
"yes"
"well-what are you?" 
"I'm Irish" 
In "Home to Harlem" it talked a lot about identity for example in America people love diversity. Its "cool" to be of different ethnicity, like me, i'm Italian-Amercian even though i was born in America and my parents were born in America so i should probably just say i'm American... but thats boring. In Ireland no one identifies themselves other than Irish. 
Stereotyping 
As i listed some stereotypes above, and they're kind of out there...but i also saw that in Ireland the irish entertain the Green, and Leprechauns, for example, they literally have a Leprechaun museum( Leprechaun Museum). They do this i would say for tourist attractions. 

Reflection 
This study a board trip was absolutely the best decision I've ever made, it was the highlight of my college career ( well...ya know bedsides graduation) and if i could i would do it all over again. If i had to say anything to someone who was wondering if they should go on a study abroad trip, i'd say just do it. Go have that adventure of a lifetime and have no regrets. 






 










1 comment:

  1. Very nice analysis Chloe! I agree we all had some different prejudice before visiting and my depiction of the Irish also changed. The stereotypes truly changed for me when we got to Derry and saw more Irish than tourists. I think this adventure was extremely valuable to me because I now know to expect less stereotypes that I have seen an various media outlets.

    ReplyDelete